North Miami, which is a city in Miami-Dade County, was settled in 1890, then incorporated as a town in 1926. Now, it is the 41st largest city in the state of Florida. With a population of 2,701,767, the streets tend to get crowded and explains why auto accidents are still the top cause of personal injuries in this county.
These injuries could be severe and can even lead to long-term emotional and physical trauma. Apart from that, it could also adversely impact one’s ability to work and earn. And if the patient is hospitalized for a long time, the medical costs could be equally debilitating.
If you or a loved one gets involved in an accident in North Miami, the best thing to do would be to seek the help of a personal injury attorney, who could help secure compensation or defend you if a personal injury claim is brought against you.
Hiring a Personal Injury Attorney in North Miami Beach
Depending on the seriousness of the injury and the egregiousness of the other party’s conduct, there are different kinds of damages that you can claim when you’re the victim in a car accident. In Miami-Dade County, there are over 58 road accident-related injuries every day. However, these accidents are not the only causes of personal injuries in the county. There are other accidents and mishaps caused by negligence or wanton disregard for safety.
You can also file a personal injury claim if you suffered an injury or were otherwise rendered unable to work due to any of the following:
- Truck or commercial vehicle accidents
- Ridesharing accidents
- Accidents in amusement parks
- Dog bites
- Wrongful death
- Accidents and injuries due to product usage
- Workplace injuries
- Boating accidents and mishaps
- Motorcycle crashes
With the help of a lawyer, you can gather and organize evidence that would prove the other party’s liability. The lawyer can help you establish that the harm you suffered gave rise to an injury that’s compensable under the law. Under the principle of damnum absque injuria, losses without an injury are not compensable.
In that case, even if the person suffered a loss or harm, but the same does not give rise to a compensable injury, then the person cannot claim compensation under the law. If this sounds complicated, it’s because it is. However, your lawyer can make sure that the evidence gathered and presented to court will prove that the other party caused a compensable kind of injury.
A personal injury attorney in Miami Beach can help you assert your rights to claim these types of damages – special or economic damages, general or non-economic damages, punitive damages, and treble damages.
Special or economic damages refer to the actual cost of medical treatment, property damage, lost earnings, future medical expenses, and other kinds of out-of-pocket expenses. General or non-economic damages refer to the compensation for one’s pain and suffering, emotional distress, loss of enjoyment of life, loss of consortium, and inconvenience.
On the other hand, punitive damages are awarded at the court’s discretion to punish the at-fault party for his or her reprehensible conduct. Lastly, the court could award treble damages, which is the amount of actual damages multiplied by three.
North Miami Beach Personal Injury Attorney
Here is a list of the most common types of personal injury cases filed in North Miami.
- Injuries in assisted living centers: While mistakes are inevitable, some mistakes could be so huge that they can result in life-altering injuries or deaths to a loved one. You need a lawyer to fight for a loved one’s rights.
- Vehicular accidents: Countless accidents happen every year. While some people can recover without life-changing injuries, others suffer injuries that stay with them for a lifetime. This is why you need a lawyer to make the at-fault party pay damages for the injuries he or she inflicted on you.
- Workplace injuries: Despite safety warnings and other preventive measures, accidents in the workplace can happen. If the employer is negligent in implementing safety measures, the employee can file a case for personal injury.
- Slips and falls: These accidents result in more severe injuries other than plain bumps and bruises. They can even cause a life-altering trauma that could affect how you function. By filing and winning a personal injury case, you can be compensated to help pay for your treatment and medication.
- Medical malpractice: When a doctor or healthcare provider fails to uphold their Hippocratic Oath, and their actions injure or harm their patients, they can be liable for medical malpractice.
- Driving Under Influence (DUI) accidents: The law against DUI accidents may be strict, but incidences of drunk driving are common in Florida. If you get involved in this kind of accident and get injured, it’s best to seek a lawyer’s help to claim compensation.
- Construction accidents: The Florida government institutionalized health and safety laws, but you can’t expect everyone to comply with the law. If a construction site doesn’t obey the law and you get hurt, you need a personal injury lawyer to help you through the process.
Your personal injury lawyer in North Miami can help sort your case out and also help you claim compensation for the injuries you suffered.
Personal Injury Claims in North Miami Beach
Personal injury claims are legal disputes arising from an injury or accident wherein a person suffers harm. In this case, someone is directly liable and legally responsible for the said harm. The insurance company of the party liable for the injury will compensate the victim for the pain and suffering, medical bills, and other existing medical expenses. If the case can be considered medical malpractice, your North Miami Beach personal injury attorneys will coordinate with the hospital attorneys and insurance companies.
There are only two likely outcomes of a case involving a car accident, whereby the injured party requires medical treatment — informal settlement and formal lawsuit. Either way, you’ll need the legal expertise of a North Miami Beach personal injury attorney.
- Informal settlement: This usually starts with a negotiation where the parties involved in the case, their insurers, and attorneys are all present. After they reach an agreement, it is followed by a written agreement stating that both parties are desisting from future legal action arising from the same cause of action. The agreement would also state that they have elected to resolve the matter by paying an agreed amount of money as compensation.
- Lawsuit: If the parties can’t come to an agreement, then the only way to resolve the issue would be to file a formal lawsuit. This process usually starts with the plaintiff filing a formal complaint, whereby he or she states the injuries that he or she sustained from the accident. The civil complaint names the party at fault as the defendant and further outlines all the defendant’s negligent acts that caused the accident and injury.
|What to Do After a Personal Injury Accident|
|Get checked by a doctor.||Your priority after the accident is to ensure that you’re physically well. So, call 911 when you can and get checked by a doctor. Also, if you need to undergo medical treatment, never hesitate to do so. Just remember to keep all the receipts of all the procedures you went through.|
|Refrain from speaking with anyone about the situation.||You may be compelled to talk to the other party about the case, but you need to refrain from doing so. Right after the accident, emotions may be running high, so you might end up saying something that could be used against you later on.|
|Gather evidence.||Before leaving the scene of the accident, make sure that you’ve gathered enough evidence to support your claims.|
Consult a Diamond and Diamond attorney in North Miami Beach to check whether you have a claim or not. Schedule a free consultation today.
“Hire a personal injury attorney to protect your rights and get the compensation you deserve for your injuries.”
– Diamond and Diamond Miami
Diamond and Diamond North Miami Beach Personal Injury Attorneys
Suppose you have been involved in a car accident that resulted in an injury. In that case, the best thing to do is to seek the services of a seasoned, reliable personal injury lawyer at Diamond and Diamond Law Firm.
Personal injury cases need to be represented by the best lawyers to ensure that your rights are upheld, and you’re well-represented during the settlement or lawsuit. Our team of personal injury lawyers has extensive experience in negotiation and litigation, so regardless of the route or outcome, you’re in good and capable hands.
If you’re ready to tell us about your legal woes, get in touch with us today and get a free case evaluation.